Problems with imagination.

By Holly Counts, Psy.D.

Q: I keep imagining things over and over again. Imagining conversations and living in them. This has been happening for five years and I don’t know how to get rid of it. Also I am not able to control my thoughts. Sometimes songs jus stay in my head and I’m not able to get rid of it. Also after studying I feel the words just lingering in my minds, and when I close my eyes I keep seeing them. The words come back to me many times, even several days later. Please help.

A: It is difficult to know exactly what is creating this problem for you without a more thorough evaluation but it sounds like it could be of form of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. I would suggest that you see a mental health professional for an evaluation. You may want to find one who specializes in cognitive-behavioral therapy. You may want to read up on the subject and see if there are other symptoms that fit. It is likely that through cognitive therapy you can learn to change these patterns but if that alone is not enough, there are medications that can help also. I wish you luck.