Bipolar daughter

Q. My daughter is bipolar and has to children,two and five. My question is would it be safe to leave my daughter alone at home- she lives with me – with her to children all the time. I worry that if she has an episode and I’m not home the children to iclude my daughter might be in danger. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

A. Without being thoroughly familiar with your situation, I cannot say for sure what your daughter will do or if it is safe to leave her alone with her children. Are you wrong for thinking this way? I would say yes if you think that just because your daughter has bipolar disorder, this makes her a danger to her children. Just because your daughter has bipolar disorder that does not necessary mean that she is dangerous. Individuals with bipolar disorder are generally only a danger to others under pretty particular circumstances-that is when they are not taking their medications properly, using drugs or alcohol and are in the midst of an illness episode. This combination can cause an individual with bipolar disorder to become unstable, not necessarily dangerous but there is an increased risk that she may become a danger to others under these circumstances. You did not describe your daughter as unstable in any way nor did you mention the use of drugs or alcohol. If she is stable, not using drugs or alcohol and taking her medications, there is little risk leaving her alone with her children. Individuals with bipolar disorder are no more dangerous than any one else, as long as they are stable and not using drugs or alcohol and taking their medications. I hope this answer helps to clarify or rectify your thinking about your daughter, her children and bipolar disorder. I encourage you to write again if you have any more questions. Take care.