A bond too strong

Q. My younger sister and I have had a very strong bond since I can remember and last year she was raped by our uncle and that just put a lot of stress between us. I have just let her cry on my shoulders for who knows how long. Just recently she was put into the hospital for suicidal thoughts and she’s being treated for nightmares along with depression. Since she’s been in the hospital I have started having nightmares of her being raped every night. I’m just really scared. It just feels so real to me when I’m having these dreams. What can be causing for me to be having these dreams?

A. There are many books written on the subject of dreams. Some explanations are very simple, as simple as eating the wrong foods before bed. Others are very complex and indicating that dreaming may be a very real existence in lives occurring in other dimensions. Which one is correct? At this time no one can say with certainty. Simple explanations are not always correct. As you know, the best minds believed that the earth was the center of the universe and all things revolved around this planet. The truth turned out to be much, much more complex.

I don’t know why you are having these dreams. Perhaps they will stop. If they are causing you distress, then you should talk to a therapist. Do they have a meaning beyond all of this? Only time will tell. Good luck and keep me posted.