I think I might be Bipolar II

Q. I have had problems with my emotions and depression for quite a while, but it seems to be getting worse. I can feel so great and energetic and I will get these great ideas and then I get so depressed I don’t want to get out of bed and I want to die. I have been on zoloft for 6 years now, it was first prescribed to me when I had postpartum depression and it seemed to do the trick back then. But the past 3 years it seems to have worked less and less. Not only do I get extremely depressed but sometimes I get very rageful and I just want to hurt someone really bad! I am extremely agitated and irritable with everyone. I end up screaming at my kids for the smallest little things, because at that moment it feels like the end of the world whatever they did. The same thing with my husband. I love him so much, but sometimes I just hate him and want away from everybody. Sometimes these feelings can last for days or a couple of weeks, but most of the time I am on an up and down roller coaster throughout the day. I never know from one minute to the next what I will feel like. I can’t concentrate, I have racing thoughts almost all the time, I can’t think straight. I even have trouble talking coherently (I can’t get my words out right to say what I mean)and I sometimes can’t understand what people are saying to me. It’s really interfering with my life, and it’s hurting the people I love. I know that, but I can’t seem to get myself under control. I want to be normal and happy, but right now I just feel like something is so broken in me and no one can fix it. I don’t even think anyone believes me when I try to explain what I’m going through. It’s hard to put it into words. I hope you can help.

A. I am not sure if you have bipolar II but the symptoms you describe sound like someone suffering with bipolar disorder. The only way to know for sure is to make an appointment with a psychiatrist for a full evaluation. An evaluation with a psychiatrist is especially needed because your medication is no longer effective. A medication that worked for you at one time may not be right for you now. Post partum depression is a different type of disorder than bipolar disorder and thus requires different treatments and different medications. I am sorry you are suffering but you cannot go on like this. You said yourself you are hurting people you love. Please get help and make an appointment to see someone. If your behavior is too out of control, go to the hospital. You can get an immediate evaluation at the hospital. I wish you the best of luck getting help. Please let me know how you are doing.