Can Borderline Personality Disorder be cured?

Q. I know this sounds stupid but can Borderline Personality Disorder be cured? I have no problem being diagnosed bipolar and ADD, but I’m having serious issues with the BPD diagnosis and was wondering if I’m going to have BPD for the rest of my life?

A. There is no known cure for borderline personality disorder (BPD) but there are effective treatments that can help decrease the symptoms of BDP. One of the most popular and effective psychosocial treatments is dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). It was designed specifically to treatment people with borderline personality disorder. Some people take medication to control symptoms in combination with therapy. It truly is hard to say if you will have to live with BPD for the rest of your life. You can potentially decrease your symptoms if you engage in therapy. My advice would be for you to seek treatment and find a good therapist who specializes in working with people with borderline personality disorder. I would not expect any “cures” but I would expect a therapist to help me decrease my symptoms. Best of luck to you.