I am wondering if i’m in need of a therapist

Q. Hello, My name is Angelia and I am mpd/did and have been a victim of satanic ritual abuse plus combat ptsd. I have a therapist who i’ve known for over 17 yrs, but i don’t feel the intensity of the trauma anymore; or am I just fooling myself?? so much has changed in my life in the last six months that i haven’t had the time to think about the abuse and torture that i endured both as a child and an adult. I don’t know how to deal with the non-truama, in fact, it scares me. I am very good at meeting the challenges of crisis and I am afraid i will do something to cause a crisis and ruin the first quiet time of my life.

A. That’s a hard question to answer. It is hard to say without knowing more information. If you feel you need a therapist and are ready and want to talk about your past abuse experiences, then you do need a therapist. If you are feeling ok and not bothered by your past at this point, then you might not need a therapist at this point. It might not be a bad idea to meet with your therapist less frequently just to ensure your continued success without a crisis or develop a plan for what would happen if a crisis did occur. If you are not comfortable doing that, you might also consider making an agreement with your therapist that when you need him or her, you can continue therapy. I would suggest talking this over with your therapist, sharing your concerns and finding a plan that works best for your current psychological status. Good luck.