Q. We’re told so many times NOT to think in black-and-white terms and I think, in part, that means understanding that the “always” and “never” rarely, if ever, apply. Yet a large number of people seem to think that EVERY person should want to live and something must be seriously wrong with them if they don’t. Maybe some people just aren’t meant to. I think I’m one of those people.

A. Some people do not want to live because their life is so painful that there seems to be no other option—and that is unfortunate that life becomes that way for some people. But when a person gets to the point when they do not see the value in living, something has gone very wrong and immediate intervention is necessary. Suicide is not an option under any circumstances and I would submit to you that you are in need of serious psychological help if you believe that you are not meant to live.