Q. I am wondering what my chances for survival are, percent wise or something. I am only 17 and have attempted suicide 3 times, been hospitalized once for 6 weeks, and have been a cutter for 2 years. I have an excellent support group, but I would just like to know what the odds are that I’ll live, like what my chances of committing suicide are or accidentally hitting a vein while cutting.

A. The odds are excellent that you will accidentally hit a vein and actually die. Cutting is not normal and you should seek professional help for this problem. There is help to deal with the emotional pain that is causing you to cut. You are engaging in very dangerous behavior and you are liable to lose your life because of it. Please seek out a therapist. You can change. Have faith in those who are willing to work with you.